Recycling and Waste Reduction Guidelines for Specific Industry Types
RETAIL ESTABLISHMENTS – INCREASE RECYCLING AND REDUCE WASTE!
ADOPT GREEN PURCHASING PRACTICES:
- Buy from local vendors.
- Transport products via ground instead of air. (see “Are Reusables Right For Your Business?” below)
- Promote/purchase products with minimal packaging, have the highest recycled content and are recyclable.
REUSE TO REDUCE WASTE:
- Offer an incentive to encourage customers to use reusable shopping bags.
- Use paper bags instead of plastic.
- Promote buy-back, trade-in or donation programs of the products you sell.
- Donate damaged or outdated merchandise, display and/or decor items.
- Reuse packaging and shipping materials.
AIM FOR ZERO WASTE:
- Use digital marketing (online catalogs, email newsletters, mobile marketing) and a paperless inventory tracking system to reduce paper waste.
Make the most of your collection program:
- Work with your property manager and/or neighboring tenants to choose the right- sized containers and maintain clean and efficient collection area(s).
- Make the most of our recyclables and organics programs to reduce disposal costs. Contact us for assistance.
ARE REUSABLES RIGHT FOR YOUR BUSINESS?
Reusable transport packaging (“Reusables”) replace limited-life transport packaging, saving money and resources.
Examples of Reusables include:
- Hand held containers.
- Pallets, pallet wraps and bands.
- Bulk containers and drums.
Reusables can offer significant advantages over traditional transport packaging by:
- Lowering shipping costs.
- Offering more efficient product storage, handling and distribution.
- Improving product protection, worker safety and storage efficiency.
FIND OUT IF REUSABLES ARE RIGHT FOR YOU!
Visit www.usereusables.org to complete the checklist, apply for grant funds and read success stories.
BECOME A GREEN BUSINESS!
The Green Business Network certifies businesses that meet program standards for conserving resources, preventing pollution and minimizing waste.
Green Business Benefits:
- Save money and increase profits.
- Marketing advantages.
- Community good will.
- Publicity and recognition.
- Environmental assistance.
- For more information, visit: https://greenbusinessca.org.
KEEP THE RECYCLING STREAM CLEAN!
Garbage and Organics DO NOT belong in the blue recyclables bin/cart. Make sure recyclable plastic, metal and glass food containers are empty and clean before placing them in the blue recyclables bin/cart.
Non-recyclable materials cause contamination, can damage sorting machinery, and result in recyclables in the landfill.
PLEASE NOTE: LOOSE FILM PLASTIC, FOAM BLOCKS AND WOODEN PALLETS DO NOT BELONG IN THE RECYCLABLES!